Using PayPal Payments Standard you can apply a unique shipping methods and pricing to each of your customers based on: order amount, order weight or item quantity. In this post I will explain how to configure WordPress Checkout plugin to allow shipping calculation based on order weight but you can use similar process for the other methods.
First of all you need to setup your PayPal account. Visit PayPal Easy Integration Guide for details.
After configuring your account and installing the plugin you need to complete the following steps:
- Define your shipping rules depending on the shipping methods and buyer region.
Login into PayPal and go to Shipping calculations under Profile / Selling Tools.
Click Update to start adding Shipping Methods.
Under Shipping Methods you can select your shipping currency and define Domestic and International rules.
After defining your rules you must check Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator’s settings otherwise the rule will not be applied.
- Enable Use weight for shipping calculation under WordPress Checkout settings page.
After enabling this option you need to select what type of weight unit you will use (lbs/kgs) and update your options. If you select this shipping calculation, the flat shipping option will not be apply so, it’s better to disable it. You can also add some notes to explain the buyers you will charge them for shipping later.
- Now you should be able to add the weight of your items when you include your product label.
Visit How To Use section for more details about adding products into your blog.
After these basic steps you should be ready to apply multiple rule to the buyers. If not, review these elements on your settings:
- You are using the same currency and weight unit in your blog and PayPal.
- Weight has been added to your products.
- This options is checked in PayPal Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator’s settings.
Use the Live Demo example to test the whole process.